Steering Committee Meeting 12/10/15

Home/Steering Committee Meeting Minutes/Steering Committee Meeting 12/10/15

Steering Committee Meeting 12/10/15

Meeting Attendees: Samantha Deutch, Gabriel Rodriguez, Jason Varone, Ellen Prokop, Helen Wall, Marija Dalbello, Lisa Schermerhorn, Molly Schoen, Francine Snyder

Preliminary Meeting Notes:

-Feb. 11, 10-12pm, 2-5pm is the official time for our participation in NYCDAH week.

  • Presenters for DAH:  Jason Varone: D3, open, dynamic data visualization; Samantha Deutch will provide lesson in scraping and visualizing in Carto DB; a presentation by Titia Hulst on cytoscape; JV and SD will show their shell database for image collection management; Ellen Prokop on El Greco project.
  • Afternoon tables in the marble room at the IFA: perhaps tables for all of the topics discussed in the morning.  Bring your laptop, interactive demos.  Sign up for the NYCDH website.  Flyers: Jason Varone suggests a flyer for WordPress.  Image management, photoshop (?), bibliographic tools (Zotero), data management, Google SketchUP
  • 4 tables are appropriate for the marble room.
  • Networking via NYCDH website, need to reach out to DAH website team (Matt Gold) for image profile feature with interest tags (i.e. what are you interested in?).   This would allow for networking.  Ellen Prokop will reach out.
  • Jason may be able to involve NYU 3D printing lab, who could self-promote.
  • Art Historical problems involved in 3D printing, may be appropriate for the Spring.
  • Emily Spratt,employing computer vision technology to explore the processes of aesthetic interpretation and stylistic analysis, she may be available to talk.  She is starting a lab at Rutgers for these kinds of investigations.
  • Spring Salon?  Perhaps any extra talks can be scheduled for this time.
  • Rauschenberg Foundation for Spring Salon — restrictions: need a door person, only 75 people at a time, probably 4-6pm would be fine, anything later than that would need security which would be prohibitively expensive.
  • Early May would be possible time for Spring Salon, presentations of 3D and imaging would be appropriate for Rauschenberg mission.  Conservation through high res imaging.
  • Tables would be good for Rauschenberg space.
  • Jason to reach out to IFA student who studied the degradation of daguerreotypes.
  • Marija Dalbello: Perhaps we should deal with inherent problems in interdisciplinarity of tools and subject matter. Learning to match tools with the questions.  Invitation to come with a problem.  Students should contribute as much as possible.
  • “Bring your art historical problem”:  Perhaps we could address questions in the afternoon with each tool.  May be too ambitious, would need questions beforehand.  It would be great to get people thinking in new ways about their problems.
  • Helen Wall: She gets the question often: “How to organize images?” She uses Media Pro.
  • Perhaps we could get very specific with image management tools.
  • Student Award:  Samantha working with ARLIS for a DH award.  She has consulted with Barbara and they work with CUNY which acts as a repository for the funding.  Institutions donate money and they select a subcommittee to review the applications for the student award.
  • Idea to create some sort of “hackathon” type event, use humanities generated data and get engineers to see what they can do with it.  Marija has many students she thinks would be interested in this.  Parsons, NYU will definitely have students.  Pairing an Art Historian with an engineer.  If we got the word out now this could be perfect for the fall.  Would pair them early, rather than on the spot.  They could then present at the end of the semester.  There should be some sort of prize.
  • Jason, Marija, Molly, Samantha, Ellen and Francine would like to work on this.  Can start this in the Spring.
  • February NYCDAH day will likely change our focus.

February 11th:

  • 74 attendees max.  Should have volunteers to work the door.  What’s our target audience:  students, museums, libraries.  Have opportunity to live broadcast.  Cap the RSVPs.  
  • Should we use Paperless post?  Maybe just IFA system.  Samantha will send out invite using Paperless post.
  • Budget:  Printing, coffee, tea and cookies, water.  Perhaps we could just put all of the documentation related to the event on the NYCDH website.  Butterfield coffee service may be the way to go.

From Kimon:

http://jitpedagogy.org will be doing a special issue on Digital Art History.  Call for content.

Emerging initiatives:

-IIIF

-OSCI

-Art Tracks project at Carnegie Museum

 

By | 2017-02-02T23:34:16+00:00 December 10th, 2015|Steering Committee Meeting Minutes|0 Comments

About the Author:

Profile photo of Jason Varone

Leave A Comment

css.php
Skip to toolbar